We developed this venison recipe to Roast Venison Striploin to accompany Annandale Distillery’s Rascally Liquor
Type of dish:
2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 4 sprigs fresh thyme
* 4 tbsp olive oil
* 400g venison loin
* A good measure of Rascally Liquor Whisky.
For the Juniper Saucev
* 8 juniper berries
* 350ml dry red wine ( a good quality Merlot would do nicely )
* 1 pinch Chinese 5 spice
* 600ml beef stock
* 40g cold butter
1. Place the venison in a bowl and add the garlic, thyme, oil and a good measure of the Rascally Liquor. Cover with cling film and leave to marinade in the fridge for two hours.
2. Crush the juniper berries with a the flat side of a knife blade and place in a pan with the red wine and five spice powder – cook down over a moderate heat until reduced by half.
3. Add the beef stock and reduce by half again. Strain the sauce and set aside.
5. Set the oven to 180C/gas 4. Heat a large, heavy-based saucepan, and fry the venison and crushed garlic from the marinade, until browned on all sides. Transfer to the oven and cook for 12 minutes – turning the meat over, halfway through its cooking time. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for five minutes – this standing time helps keep the meat juicy and easy to carve.
6. While the venison is resting, warm the sauce and stir in the butter. Serve the venison on a bed vegetables of your choice, drizzled with the juniper sauce.
Hints and Tips:
Rascally Liquor can be enjoyed while preparing your meal at the heart of some rather extraordinary cocktails or enjoyed sitting next to your plate as you dine.